Questions About Overdrafts
What Is An "Overdraft"?
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover debit transactions but the items are paid resulting in an overdraft balance.
How Can You Avoid Overdrafts?
The best protection against unnecessary overdraft fees is to manage your account wisely. Prevention is your best medicine. The following suggestions may assist you in avoiding such situations:
- Keep an eye on your account balance by reviewing your transactions on an ongoing basis
- Remember to record and deduct checks, automatic recurring payments and debit card transactions
- Use direct deposit for your paycheck; it is faster and safer than a paper check
- Keep a cushion of money in your checking account, just to be safe
- Remember your debit card is like an electronic check and the funds are automatically deducted from your account
- Use all of the tools our bank offers to help you keep track of your account balances and make necessary transfers:
- Free online banking with e-mail alerts and reminders
- Telephone banking
- Convenient banking center locations
What Overdraft Protection Choices Do You Have?
We recognize that no single form of overdraft protection fits every customer's needs. That is why we offer different options to cover occasional overdrafts:
Standard Overdraft Service
At our discretion we may choose to pay insufficient debits attempting to clear your checking account. The applicable fee for each item that is paid into an overdraft is $25.00.
Overdraft Transfer Agreement
This option links a savings, checking or money market account to your primary checking account to cover an overdraft. You are required to sign an Automatic Transfer Agreement for this service. The applicable fee for each transfer is $5.00.
Transaction Limitations: Regulation D limits preauthorized transfers from a savings or money market account to six (6) per month. Such transfers include automatic transfers for overdrafts per an agreement, telephone transfers, ACH transfers, Internet banking and voice response system transfers, and transactions made by check, draft, debit card, or similar order made payable to third parties. Excessive transfers in violation of the regulation could result in loss of transfer capabilities, or your account being changed to a transaction account or closed without prior notice.
Overdraft Privilege Program
If you have been approved for this program, all insufficient debits attempting to clear your account up to an assigned overdraft limit will automatically be paid. Any insufficient items above that designated limit will revert to our Standard Overdraft Service. The applicable fee for each item that is paid into an overdraft is $25.00.
Note: In order for your ATM and everyday debit card transactions to be included in our Standard Overdraft Service or Overdraft Privilege Program you will be required to sign an Opt-In Authorization.
We hope this information will help you make an informed decision that best suits your needs.
· Return to Top ·